THE ASEAN SECRETARIAT IN JAKARTA
FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITION
THE JAPAN-ASEAN INTEGRATION FUND (JAIF) PROGRAMME
ASEAN and Japan enjoy long years of solid and beneficial relations as “partners thinking together, acting together, and sharing a future vision” and this strategic partnership will be enduring. Japan has been a major development partner and contributor for more than three decades to the political, economic and social development of ASEAN.
The Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF) was officially established in March 2006, based on the pledge from then Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi at the Ninth ASEAN-Japan Summit held in December 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to assist the integration of ASEAN through the ASEAN-Japan cooperation funds. In particular, the JAIF has been established to support ASEAN’s integration efforts to create the ASEAN Community, by facilitating effective implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme (VAP) and the implementation of the three blueprints of the ASEAN Community and the IAI Work Plan 2 (2009-2015) including narrowing development gaps among
ASEAN Member States; and promote greater cooperation between ASEAN and
ASEAN and the Government of Japan had agreed to set up JAIF Management Team (JMT) at the ASEAN Secretariat in order to enhance effective utilisation of JAIF in support of ASEAN Community building and integration efforts.
The objectives of JMT are to jointly formulate and implement JAIF funded programmes/projects together with ASEAN. The JMT will be responsible for planning, design, management, implementation and programming of JAIF-funded programmes/projects. The JMT will report to the JAIF Management Committee (JMC) comprising ASEAN Member States, the Government of Japan and the ASEAN Secretariat.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The PROGRAMME DIRECTOR shall be a senior-level position that shall support the ASEAN Secretariat and the Government of Japan in the overall management, and implementation of JAIF programmes/projects as well as the JMT. The incumbent will:
- Design, formulate, implement, and follow-up the JAIF programmes/project in cooperation with the ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Member States, and Government of Japan;
- Provide strategic guidance, direct, manage, and supervise the overall operations of the JAIF programmes/projects;
- Prepare and submit documents and reports relating to management and implementation of the JAIF programmes/projects to the JAIF Management Committee;
- Manage the physical, financial and human resources of the JAIF programmes/projects;
- Provide a central point of reference and information with respect to all JAIF related matters;
- Take necessary measures for observing the JAIF Guidelines and for managing the JAIF programmes/projects in coordination with ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Member States, and Government of Japan.
- Graduate/Postgraduate degree, preferably in economic cooperation or development assistance or relevant policy area;
- Extensive management experience, with a minimum of ten (10) years in a senior management position;
- Proven management skills in programme/project management, human resource management and financial management;
- Strong leadership and administrative capabilities;
- Solid understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of ASEAN programmes and activities. Knowledge of ASEAN-Japan strategic relations is an advantage;
- High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings;
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with government representatives, public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate staff in a dynamic and demanding environment;
- Proven high-level analytical skills including use of Microsoft Office applications, and ability to provide clear and concise reports;
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken. Knowledge of Japanese language is preferable.
Remuneration and Benefits:
The successful candidate will initially be contracted for two (2) years, subject to initial six (6) months probation period. An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with experience and qualification of the candidate. Renewal of contract on annual basis will be negotiated subject to the agreement among the three parties (Appointee, ASEAN Secretariat and Government of Japan).
How to apply:
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be downloaded at www.asean.org/opportunities.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Programme Director, The Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund Programme.
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 10 September 2010. The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only short-listed candidates will be notified.